Thursday, August 4, 2011

Getting Audi AMI to work with Spotify, Pandora, SiriusXM, etc. (iPhone)

I had a ton of issues getting any iPhone application to work though the Audi AMI, every time I tried listening to an application the iPod application overrode whatever I was listening to and started playing my iPod playlist.  Of course, the fact that I couldn’t use any music apps through the AMI made me really angry and after looking through a ton of blogs and web sites I was about to give up.  Well, until I found out that the following sequence of steps will always play ANY music application through the AMI.  I hope this helps at least one person out there!

Playing iPhone music applications through an Audi AMI Interface
The sequence followed must be in the correct order.

1. Plug in your iPhone to the AMI cable.
2. Push on the FM/AM button on the dash. This will switch the audio to the radio.
3. Open the Spotify application (or any other) on your iphone.
4. Press play on the desired playlist selection.
5. Push the Media button to select the iPhone/iPod. Once you switch to the iPod as the source, the speakers will play whatever is coming from the active application without having the iPod application override Spotify. On the AMI screen expect to see the following:

          "There are no playable tracks present."

6. Listen and enjoy. Obviously you won't be able to manage your selection using the AMI interface, but at least you can listen to your favorite playlist without any issues.

This works for me EVERY single time and it works with Spotify, Pandora, RadioIO, SiriusXM apps, etc..

Update: I found out that an OS upgrade or a phone reboot may break this work around.  The search continues for a permanent fix.


Cheers!
P.S. I used an 2011 A4 and an iPhone 4 to put together these instructions.
Rodney

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great post! I have been looking everywhere on how to do this. I have a 2010 Audi A4 and had the same problem. Also do you know a way or device to use to be able to play Spotify via bluetooth? You can reach me at newman.blake@gmail.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its working great!
    Im running an iPhone 4 on iOS 5.0.1 with Audi A4 b8 ami.
    Big thumbs up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I discovered that the functionality described above works very well with iOS 5. If you're having issues getting the apps to play through the AMI I would recommend doing an OS upgrade. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have tested iOS 6 and it works like a champ, the same way iOS 5 used to work. The track listed for things like Spotify will show, but only for the 1st track being played. Any other track won't have its name shown, which is also true for other applications (e.g. Pandora, streaming from browser, etc.). As before, can't control the playlist or whatever is being played. If you try to change tracks, the tracks will indeed change but for the tracks in the iTunes/iPod feature of the phone.

    Shoot me an e-mail if you have any questions!

    Rodney

    ReplyDelete